Ash Wednesday begins the season of Lent for 40 days.
What New-Year's Resolution did you set for yourself?
- I am going to read the entire Bible in 2016.
- I am going to spend time every morning in prayer.
- I am going to do a devotional every day.
- I am going to do my Bible Study every day.
How are you doing with that?
Today is a perfect time for a do-over. You can begin again.
Maybe you had lofty spiritual goals. Once you got behind, you tried to catch up, but that was even harder.
Do what you can.
God will take care of the rest.
If you are doing a devotional, do only that day. If you skip a few days, don't go back and try to catch up. Only do that day, even if it means skipping a few pages.
Read one verse.
Let God lead you where to go.
If you were trying to read the Bible in a year, reading something is better than reading nothing.
If you have more time, go deeper.
- Devotional. I have been enjoying Jesus Calling by Sarah Young. I like to read the passage for the day and see what Jesus is telling me.
- Bible. Look up the verses to go deeper. I like to outline them with a colored pencil.
- Journal. I like to write out some of my prayers. When I look up the scriptures, I write these out as well.
- Calendar. As I pray, God many times re-orders my day or adds to my to-do list. So I like to keep my calendar nearby to write new ideas that God gives me.
If you need inspiration on your prayer life, try watching War Room.
If it all seems like too much for you, consider the sacrifice that Jesus made for you. He died on the cross for us. We can make a bit of sacrifice for Him.
Whatever you do, make Lent happen with intention. If you can do something for 40 days, then maybe you will be able to continue for the rest of the year.
Read more about the Online Book Club for Women of Faith.
Ana Sullivan is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.