This is part of a series in Teaching Children to Sew.
This is a way to teach your child to sew (even if you don’t know how.)
There are instructions for the adult and for the child. The adult will be making a Pre-Cut Sew Kit and the child will be sewing. Read about this method at Learn to Sew with Pre-Cut Kits.
It is perfect for a first project after Sewing My First Stitch.
This project is sewn with only two straight seams.
This is a Mini Friendly Pattern and can be made on a mini sewing machine.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- 1/4 yard (or fat quarter) of fabric
- Kleenex tissue pack
- Sewing machine (Janome Mini works great for this project)
- Basic sewing kit
- Rotary cutter, mat, and ruler
- Wonder Clips (optional)
- Point turner (optional)
- Spray starch (optional)
(See purchase options below. These are affiliate links.)
Adult: Make a Pre-Cut Sew Kit. (Learn more about Pre-Cut Sew Kits)
- Iron fabric. Iron out any folds. Optional: Use spray starch for a crisp, smooth finish on the fabric. This makes it easier for little hands to handle. Use manufacturer’s instructions.
- Cut fabric using the rotary cutter, mat, and ruler. Cut the fabric 6 1/8” X 9 ¾”.
Warning: Do not let children use a rotary cutter.
Optional: Use the pattern on the last page of the PDF file (below). Pin to fabric. Cut with scissors.
- Make snips with scissors on the long edge of fabric at 3 ¼”and 6 ½” using the markings on the mat. Snip bottom edge first then turn fabric over and repeat on the other side. These will be your markers for folding the fabric into thirds.
- With right side of fabric up, fold left 1/3 of fabric piece over at snips. Press. (Picture top center)
- Lift left edge (which is now at the center) and bring edge of fabric over to the left fold. Press. (Picture top right)
- Repeat on right side. (Pictures left center and bottom) You now have a rectangle that is 3 layers thick.
- Add pins or Wonder Clips as shown.
This completes the Pre-Cut Sew Kit.
Child: Sew Seams and Turn Right Side Out
- Take a Pre-Cut Sew Kit, sew 2 seams at 4/8” as shown using a sewing machine. Be careful to keep folds flat in the center as you sew over them. (Review How to Sew a Seam: Sewing My First Stitch.)
- Reach fingers through the opening in the middle and turn the project right side out.
- Try to poke out the corners. If using a point turner, at each corner, take your tool and first have it hit the inside edge above the seam. Then run it down the fold until you reach the seam. This will pull the fabric that is still tucked in, out into a point.
Adult: Iron and press flat.
Child: Insert a Kleenex tissue pack into the Tissue Pack Cover.
Child: Give as gifts to friends, aunts and grandmas. Keep one for your pocket.
After you have made this project, please come back to my Craftsy Pattern Store and upload a photo of your project.
Visit Pillows, Pouches, & Bows Oh My!!! for the entire Sewing Camp Series.
Ana Sullivan is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
Materials and Supplies:
Links to more resources can be found at Resources.